My name is Evan LaPorte and I am a painter living in New Bedford, Ma. I am a subjective painter concerned with formal issues, however I am not concerned with accurate representation. I am focused on honest translation and the creation of images informed by my hand, my history and my observations. The artists hand, the history of mark making and the process are my primary focus when creating an image. This page is an opportunity to share my paintings and some of my inspirations. 

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Where I'm @

P1030510

This body of work is a continuation of the landscape series I started over five years ago. This began from my observations on the North Shore where I received my education. It has most recently gained considerable momentum through the inspiration I have found here on the South Coast. The coastal marshes and beaches of Adamsville, Westport and Fairhaven have become specific areas of focus and reflection for my work and myself.

This landscape is a platform I use to build an image. When I am out in the field I rely on all my senses to be influenced. I often seek out the difference between static and kinetic properties of a place. I am challenged by changes in light and color. However I am most moved when I am aware of atmosphere, temperature, weather, and space. These are often fleeting moments, timestamps directly responsible for the choices made throughout the art making process.

I have also found at this stage of the series that there is a growing awareness of my place in the landscape. Often I feel we as people look to the world as another thing we have mastered, controlled and shaped. More like a skyscraper or a pyramid than the complex evolving thing that it is. I can understand this view. My own day-to-day hustle is saturated with traffic, commerce, people and product. It is only when I can dedicate myself to listening, looking and feeling these landscapes that I begin to understand my place in nature. What allows me the time and space to dedicate some reverence to nature is my process in making art. It continues to feed my inspiration and has made me feel more a part of the landscape, than a man walking over it.

evan

No comments: